Opposing Uniform Civil Code for vote bank politics
Advocate-Supreme Court of India, Spokesperson-BJP Delhi
* If we can have a Uniform Civil Code in Goa then what is the problem in introducing Uniform Civil Code countrywide?
* Can we continue personal laws, while we solemnly resolved to constitute India into Socialist Secular Democratic Republic?
* Can we secure JUSTICE, social, economic and political and EQUALITY of status and opportunity to all Indian citizens without implementing Uniform Civil Code?
* Can we promote fraternity, unity and integrity among citizens without implementing Uniform Civil Code in accordance with Article 44?
* Can we allow social evils like polygamy, unilateral oral talaq and child marriage in 21st century in the garb of personal laws?
* When Constitution maker’s dream of Uniform Civil Code will be turned into reality?
* Should such personal laws, which are not in conformity with the fundamental rights and principle of equality; be allowed to continue?
* Do the different personal laws prevailing in the country not giving scope for discrimination on ground of religion, race, caste, sex and place of birth, which is against the spirit of the Constitution of India?
Uniform Civil Code should be implemented urgently because:
* Personal laws are inconsistent with our declaration: “To constitute India into Socialist Secular Democratic Republic”.
* It is almost impossible to secure JUSTICE, social, economic and political; and EQUALITY of status and of opportunity; to all Indian citizens without a Uniform Civil Code.
* Marriage, divorce, maintenance, inheritance, adoption matters are of secular nature and can be better regulated by Uniform Civil Code.
* Uniform Civil Code is a sign that, nation has moved away from caste, creed, religion, race, sex and place of birth considerations.
* Uniform Civil Code is necessary to promote fraternity-assuring dignity of individual and unity and integrity of the nation.
* Article-44 of the Constitution inter-alia provides; “The State shall endeavour to secure for citizens a Uniform Civil Code throughout the territory of India”.
* Uniform Civil Code was the dream of the Constitution makers and it’s the duty of the state to apply the principles laid down in Article-44 of the Constitution.
* Uniform Civil Code would be a major step in achieving gender justice and equality. There is no place for personal laws in modern and civilized society.
* Many personal laws are unjust, unfair, inhumane, discriminatory and unconstitutional. Citizens should not be discriminated on the ground of religion, race, caste, sex and place of birth.
* Different personal laws for different communities creates unnecessary burden on the legal system. Bringing Uniform Civil Code would reduce and help in simplifying many technicalities and loopholes, present in existing personal laws.
* Hon’ble Supreme Court repeatedly reiterated the importance of enacting the Uniform Civil Code for gender justice and national integration.